Friday, February 11, 2011
If this doesn't impress your health nut friends, nothing will. It has NO fat and only 70 calories per serving. It is soooo delicious you may be temped to eat just a bit more.
* 3/4 cup(s) flour, whole-wheat pastry
* 1 1/2 cup(s) sugar substitute
* 1/4 cup(s) cocoa powder, unsweetened
* 2 teaspoon espresso, instant
* 1 1/2 cup(s) egg white(s), (from about 10 eggs)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 10" angel food cake pan with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar substitute, cocoa powder, and coffee three times. Set aside.
3. In a large metal bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt on high speed until they become stiff but not lumpy, 4 to 6 minutes. They should cling firmly to the side of the bowl when tilted. Add the vanilla, but do not mix.
4. With a spatula, gently fold one-third of the egg whites into the flour mixture. Repeat twice until all the egg whites are just combined, but not deflated.
5. Gently spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake springs back when touched, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and invert the pan onto its feet or the neck of a wine bottle. Let cool completely.
6. Gently run a long knife between the cake and the outer rim of the pan, pressing it firmly against the pan to prevent tearing the cake. Run the knife or a skewer around the inside of the tube. Invert the pan and remove cake.
Makes 8 servings.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 144 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 15 g
Dietary Fiber: 2 g
TRUE Carbs 13g