Thursday, April 1, 2010
Vanilla Egg Custard
When you are on a diet or if you are a diabetic and are looking for a sweet, creamy treat this custard is sure to hit the spot. And it's so easy to make. You can use this basic recipe to make many different custards. So if you are hankering for a banana, chocolate or a coconut custard this may be the answer.
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup skim milk
* 1 can non-fat evaporated milk
* 1/2 cup granular Splenda
* pinch of salt
* Nutmeg for dusting
***See Tip below
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Place 6 ramekins in a large roasting pan and set aside.
3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, evaporated milk, Splenda, vanilla, and salt. Pour through a fine mesh sieve into a large measuring cup.
4. Divide evenly among the custard cups and sprinkle nutmeg over each one. Pour enough hot water in the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides of the custard cups.
5. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, until the custard are just set in the center. Carefully remove the custards from the water bath, and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Serve within 24 hours.
Carbs Per Serving: 12 grams carbs total
Tip: You can add a cup of shredded coconut to change this easy recipe into a coconut custard. Or try any of your favorite fruits.