Friday, April 9, 2010
Clafouti is sort of a cross between a flan and a fruit-filled pancake. I used apricots instead of the traditional cherries, but any fruit can be used, including apples, pears, peaches and/or plums. It will puff up during baking, then collapse; let it cool slightly before serving so you can truly enjoy the flavors. Leftovers make a delicious breakfast treat.
* 1 pound fresh apricots, (about 8 medium), pitted and cut into wedges
* 1/4 cup almond liqueur, such as amaretto, or orange juice
* 1 lemon
* 1 tablespoon plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided**
* 2 large eggs
* 1 large egg white
* 1 cup low-fat milk***
* 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
* Pinch of salt
* 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
* Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting (option)
1. Combine apricots and almond liqueur (or orange juice) in a large bowl. Grate 2 teaspoons zest from the lemon and set aside. Juice the lemon and stir 2 teaspoons of the juice into the apricots. Let stand for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 10-inch round baking dish or oval casserole with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar evenly over the bottom. Drain the apricots (reserving the syrup) and arrange in the baking dish.
3. Combine whole eggs, egg white and the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale yellow. Add milk, flour, almond extract, salt, the reserved lemon zest and the reserved syrup; beat well to blend. Pour the batter over the apricots; sprinkle with almonds.
4. Bake the clafouti until puffed and golden, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar; serve warm.
Calories 116 kcal
Calories From Protein -
Calories From Carbs -
Calories From Fat -
Carbohydrates 20 g (True carbs=19g)
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Monosaturated Fat -
Polysaturated Fat -
Protein 3 g
Potassium 34 mg
Sodium 40 mg
Cholesterol 37 mg
Folic Acid -
Vitamin A (15% daily value).
** Reduce carb count more by using Baking Splenda
***Reduce carb count more by using Soy Milk